Why Insert Pressure Equalization (PE) Tubes?
There are a number of reasons for your healthcare provider to suggest pressure equalization, or PE, tube placement. Your provider can discuss the specific reasons for recommending your child’s PE tube surgery.
They may include:
- A substantial hearing loss in patients who have ear infections or otitis media
- Poor response to antibiotics to clear up ear infections
- Otitis media with fluid for more than three months
- Recurrent episodes of acute otitis media
- Chronic retraction of the eardrum
- Significant Eustachian tube problems during airplane flights or altitude changes
- To restore and preserve normal hearing
- Cleft palate abnormalities with hearing loss, or
- Hearing loss with associated delayed-speech or language development