Please be aware that some programs and video content are temporarily unavailable, as the CEMM transitions to a new website. This content will be available soon but if you have any questions or concerns please contact us here

What To Do If Caregiving Is Too Much

You should know your capabilities and your limits. Your back-up plan may include finding temporary or more permanent residential care for the injured service member or veteran. Discuss quality of life issues with your family and healthcare professionals. Your choices may include:

  • Give others permission to care for the injured service member or veteran. If you decide to give others permission to care for the person long term, you may want to consider seeking legal advice regarding guardianship and Power of Attorney (POA).
  • Seek assisted-living facilities and care homes for those who have difficulty living alone, but do not need daily nursing care.
  • Consider TRICARE or VA approved nursing homes, also called skilled nursing facilities, for individuals who need 24-hour nursing care and help with everyday activities. Skilled nursing care can also be provided at home by nurses you hire privately or through an agency or insurance. Check with your case manager for residential care benefits that may be available to provide the adequate level of care for the injured service member or veteran.

Many organizations will assist service members, veterans, and families in paying for additional costs. Talk with your case manager to learn more about this. Learn more about residential facilities from the fact sheets found at the Family Caregiver Alliance.